Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Bro'town

Coming as I do, from a suburb not dissimilar to Morningside [for life], I have consistently found Bro'Town a huge laugh.

Some people seem to miss the point that it's not the Simpsons, and for good reason too. (Shall we check some? a) They're brown, not yellow. b) We can actually pinpoint their location on a map, something the Simpsons consistently and skillfully avoid even after 15 years of transmission [742 Evergreen Tce, Springfield, ?, USA] c) The satire is a little more in your face and un-PC, compared to the subtle, stylish and intellectual injokes of the Simpsons)

Perhaps it's me or else the fact that it's late, but I also find Greg Dixon's opinion just a tad cynical. I can't remember how long it's been since there was a Kiwi cartoon of note (I can just about remember some terrible thing I used watch before cricket on a Saturday morning when I was eight), but I would be the first to say that the Simpsons rule and will rule for a loong time. 15 years to get the product right, consistent delivery and new episodes that seem to get wackier and wackier, the Simpsons can never be emulated anytime this year by a Johnny-come-lately as Bro'Town. So don't even compare them with any expectations. This is about NZ, not America.

What appeals in Bro'Town is the irreverence. I certainly hadn't heard the term 'post-PC' before it was employed by the esteemed Mr Dixon in his withering attack on Bro'Town. I actually feel kinda maligned by that, in fact. The non-PC element of Bro'Town is perhaps not something new, but the concept of a cartoon that doesn't start from a white palette is quite refreshing. It certainly makes me feel at home in my colourful neighbourhood, but I am kinda anxious for the people south of Bombay who may not be in a position to appreciate the humour. It certainly makes a change from ridiculous tip-toeing around the subject of ethnic diversity in Auckland (admittedly, not that I encounter it very often; it's probably just the aftertaste of political correctness).

OK, call it post-PC, but don't do it disparagingly. Post-PC is what we need, even for a little White Boy from MAGS like me.

* Bets on for the inspiration for St Sylvester's? As much as I'm biased, I don't actually reckon it's MAGS. The geographical location fits, but I'd probably be picking St Paul's. What say you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home